For the past decade, Louise Hill has guided the Fanning Institute’s community leadership development programs, which includes program design, curriculum development, and teaching adult leadership education. She also provides executive level coaching for individuals.
Activities and Expertise
From 2003-2009, Hill led the Georgia Rural Development Council’s Community Leadership Initiative — administering challenge grants to develop local leadership and delivering community-based adult leadership programs in nearly every one of Georgia’s 159 counties. More than 8,000 Georgians have taken part in multi-day leadership retreats or trainings led by Hill on topics such as leading community change, group decision-making, collaboration, and effective communication. In addition to her work in communities, Hill has designed and facilitated leadership development programs for a number of professional groups including the Georgia Educational Policy Fellows program, UGA's Public Service and Outreach Leadership Academy, the Georgia Hispanic Chamber Cultivating Hispanic Leaders Institute, and the Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency. She currently serves on the GVRA State Board.
Prior to joining the Fanning Institute faculty in 2003, Hill served as director of development and alumni relations for UGA's College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. She has significant experience working in rural Georgia through the variety of leadership roles she filled while employed by the Georgia Farm Bureau Federation from 1979 to 1996. Included in her work at Farm Bureau was volunteer leader training, program development, organizational management, and strategic planning.
- 1977, A.A.S., Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
- 1979, B.S. in home economics and journalism, University of Georgia
- 1986, M.Ed. in Adult Education, University of Georgia
- 1994 Kerr Award, for her active support of Leadership Georgia
- 2005 Leadership Georgia Threadgill Award recognizing her community service
- 2011 University of Georgia’s Walter Barnard Hill Award, which recognizes distinguished achievement in public service and outreach by UGA faculty and service professionals
- Leadership Georgia, alumnus and former board member
- Georgia Agri-Leaders Forum, founder
- University of Georgia College of Family and Consumer Sciences Alumni Association, former president
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural Alumni Association, former president