Leadership makes positive things happen in the community. Our community leadership programs help to develop knowledgeable, skilled, committed, and action-oriented leaders. Participants from diverse backgrounds and different perspectives enhance their existing leadership skills and gain a better understanding of themselves and their role as community leaders.
Community leaders are those who are currently in leadership roles, those who have been in leadership roles and those who may be in leadership roles along with those community members interested in growing, developing and supporting their communities. In other words, all individuals have potential to lead in their community of place or practice.
Our Community Leadership Programs are designed to:
- identify emerging and existing leaders,
- increase their knowledge, skills, and attitudes about leadership, and
- demonstrate how strong leadership can support a community in reaching its goals.
We achieve this by:
- Providing customized training in leadership development to communities throughout Georgia;
- Offering technical assistance to existing community leadership development programs and to communities that want to start these programs;
- Conducting community-wide scans and audits of leadership vitality;
- Developing and delivering next-level programs for graduates of leadership development programs;
- Partnering with existing statewide leadership organizations such as the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Georgia, and others to increase our reach to new audiences.
We offer programs that include:
The Community Leadership Program, which is a basic leadership skill development program for emerging leaders in communities throughout the state, is based on the 6th edition of the Fanning Institute’s Community Leadership Program and can be customized to the needs of the community.
The curriculum is divided into five modules relevant to community leadership and includes a variety of activities for each session. Each topic has a broad learning objective with specific goals. Fanning offers information that allows leaders to learn, understand, or clarify issues on a particular topic as well as apply what they have learned. In addition to the core five, other modules are available. Modules may be delivered by Fanning Institute faculty and staff or by certified CLP Facilitators.
The Community Leadership Facilitation program provides training for individuals to serve as facilitators of the Community Leadership Program. The program includes a training in facilitation, adult learning and program design as well as the opportunity for participants to practice module facilitation with the group. Participants receive curriculum and authorization to serve as a Fanning volunteer facilitator.
Community Leadership Program design and technical assistance is offered to communities in all stages of program implementation. We support the development, training, evaluation and sustainability of programs through technical assistance and consultation. Communities may seek our expertise in creating new programs, in rebooting existing programs, or in providing needs assessment and evaluation.
In addition, we offer:
- Customized services for programs and communities in the area of adult community leadership
- Leadership retreats and team building sessions
- Leadership assessment including Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator, Emergenetics, LPI, and DISC
- Sherpa Executive Coaching