High school youth from across the state apply and are selected to participate in this college campus experience program. Participants spend five days on campus at the University of Georgia or at Savannah State University where they receive important information on college preparation, learn about the college application process, develop leadership skills, and discover new opportunities.
University of Georgia: June 9-13
Savannah State University: June 16-21
During the program, participants stay in residence halls, eat in the dining halls, participate in recreational sports, and visit the libraries, athletic facilities, and classrooms. Current college students serve as mentors throughout the program. They also talk with University professors, counselors, and other professionals about preparing for college, including:
- College admission counselors
- Scholarship and financial aid representatives
- Major and career college advisors
- University professors
- Georgia youth advocates
The program is open to rising high school sophomores and juniors who are in foster care, wards of the state, or emancipated. A maximum of 25 students will be accepted into the program. Application instructions are listed at the bottom of this page; application deadline is May 15. Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis of acceptance into the program and must provide additional information upon acceptance.
The Embark Summer Precollegiate Program is supported with funds from the Georgia RYSE-ILP, a unit of the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services.
- Please download and complete the program application found below. Be sure to complete the entire application including the brief reference.
- Applications must be received by May 15.
- All applications will be submitted to the JW Fanning Institute for Leadership Development, regardless of whether the applicant plans to attend the program at SSU or UGA.
- All applications and any supporting materials should be mailed in one envelope or .pdf file.
- Applications may be sent via email to email@example.com or via US mail to the following address:
Embark Summer Precollegiate Program
Attn: Kate Smith
J.W. Fanning Institute for Leadership Development
1240 South Lumpkin Street
Athens, GA 30602
For more information about College Bound and/or the application process, contact program coordinator Kate Smith.