Janet Rechtman co-leads Fanning’s nonprofit leadership development and capacity building practice. With more than 30 years experience as a volunteer leader and consultant to nonprofit organizations, she provides technical assistance to nonprofits in areas of strategic planning, evaluation, marketing and communications, as well as individual coaching and leadership development.
Current Activities and Expertise
Janet Rechtman's doctoral dissertation, which documented the lived experience of nonprofit executive directors, provides a foundation for her work in leadership development of staff and volunteer leaders in that sector.
Recent clients include Atlanta Regional Commission, CARE, Good Will of Middle Georgia, Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta, Voices for Georgia’s Children, the Georgia Food Bank Association, the Oral History Association, and the Executive Leadership Program for Nonprofit Organizations (ELPNO). Other clients include Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta, Voices for Georgia’s Children, the Atlanta Community Food Bank, the Spalding Community Collaborative and DeKalb Chamber of Commerce.
- Owner and Founder, Rechtman Consulting Group, 1997-present (Provide management consulting and technical assistance for non-profits and community partnerships in the areas of collaborative strategic planning and implementation, participatory evaluation, leadership development, marketing, communications and business practices)
- Co-founder of Deeley Rechtman Communications, 1987-1997 (Provided consultation and production for internal marketing and employee communications)
- 1971, B.A., English, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
- 1974, M.A., Victorian studies, York University/University of Toronto, Toronto Canada.
- 2008, Ph.D., leadership and change, Antioch University, Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Facilitator of the Year for 2004 — Southeastern Association of Facilitators
- YWCA Academy of Women Achievers – Class of 2000
- Leadership Atlanta – Class of 1995
- Northwest Georgia Girl Scout Council Achievement Award – 1989, 1995
- YWCA of Greater Atlanta Service Award – 1996-1997
- APTS (America’s Public Television Stations) – 1998 — 21St Century Award presented to 5 Star, an collaborative facilitated by Rechtman Consulting Group
- PRSA Phoenix Awards – nine awards for various projects between 1995-1996
- IABC District Level Silver Quill Award – two awards for various project in 1996
- OneGeorgia Steering Committee
- UGA’s Child and Family Policy Initiative, member
- J. W. Fanning Institute for Leadership Development Senior Leadership Team, 2012 to present.
- UGA Public Service and Outreach Senior Promotions Review Committee, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Academic Analytics Task Force Advisory Group, 2011
- J.W. Fanning Institute for Leadership Development Faculty Search Committee, Chair, 2011
- Ready by 21 Leadership Task Force, Member, Co-Chair Liaison Committee, 2010 to present.
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers, State Advisory Board, Member 2010 to present.
- Georgia After School Investment Council – Board Member, 2006 to the present; Past Treasurer.
- National Youth Advocate Program, Board Member, Program Committee Chair, 2011 to present.
- Foxfire Foundation – Board Member – 2002-present, Board Chair 2005-2009.
- Executive Leadership Program for Nonprofit Organizations – Faculty Member – 2006 – present.
- Leadership Atlanta – Volunteer Trainer for Study Group Facilitators – Summer 2004 – present.
- International Leadership Association